Mining for Country Gold
Hi, there, cowpokes!
June is around the corner and I was invited to participate in some very exciting things! Can’t wait to tell you about it but until then – thank you. I’m honored by your support.
Speaking of support, I’ve opened a Patreon for Rainbow Rodeo. You will be charged twice a year, when the zine comes out. Please consider joining because I am tired and it will make fundraising for issue 3 so much easier. You’ll get access to things like full-length articles and a secret Patreon version of..
…the new Rainbow Rodeo podcast! That’ll be out next Friday and I’ll send a reminder e-mail. :)
Last update about me before moving on to the rest of the letter: I really well, for sure for sure, be sending out issue 2 of Rainbow Rodeo next week so pre-order your copy today.
Now on to the show! Cindy Emch and her band, The Secret Emchy Society, release a firecracker of a new album today – Gold Country ~ Country Gold.
(Also if you want a deep cut, Cindy and I chatted on the Adobe & Teardrops podcast in May 2020 about her experience working for legendary queer erotica mag On Our Backs among other things.)
Sweetheart of the Rodeo
In her article, Cindy Emch fills is in on the often nerve-wracking process of creating an album in the Age of COVID. You can read the full article on Patreon and it will be printed in full in issue 3 of Rainbow Rodeo, out November-ish.
Jan 2022 The new year has begun with my new record Gold Country / Country Gold at the vinyl plant, the first family holiday trip in over a decade canceled, and my household catching COVID. No matter how careful, no matter how limited our exposure to people, we get the Omicron variant. Friends drop black-eyed peas off on the porch for New Years, I feel like we should buy stock in Gatorade, and I’m try to not freak out about all of the prep work that I’m unable to do for the album coming out in May. What if we don’t get better? What if this hangs on forever? What if this makes my asthma worse and I can’t sing? What if this makes my asthma worse and I don’t make it? There is a lot of stress and angst… and drag queen reality tv reruns.
Feb 2022 I’ve gone from being afraid I will never be well and there will never be another show to having two shows in a row at my favorite Bay Area clubs. The first practice back is grueling and wonderful and I have to sit down a bunch of times while I lose my breath. How many new songs should we put into the set? Oh dang - new songs! Set list! New album! Should I go to SXSW? Can I afford the plane ticket? Can we rustle up a show or five? How soon do I need to decide? Doesn’t matter – just gotta plan for it. Meanwhile, it’s time to get introspective about the record recorded last May that’s been at the vinyl plant since October and start writing up my deep thoughts around it for the publicity campaign. It’s so soon. Is it soon enough? Is it too soon???? AHHHH!!!!!! Do all of the things all at once!
To find out if Cindy got it all done and what happened at SXSW and beyond, subscribe to Rainbow Rodeo!
- This thread gives advice on self-managed transition in Alabama and other states that restrict our queer family’s bodily autonomy
- Yesterday I stumbled across Tyler Childers’ cover of SG Goodman’s “Space and Time” and holy shit it’s so good!!!!
- The Canadians did what us Americans were too stupid to and recognized Allison Russell with some JUNO awards
- Black queer country artists Joy Oladokun, the Kentucky Gentlemen, and Lizzie No will be part of the Black Opry Revue at Newport Folk Fest!!! Who’s adding me to their guest list?
- Not only did Mya Byrne get signed to Kill Rock Stars, she just released a killer new song that you can listen to on the playlist below!
- Ty Herndon has a new album coming up. Ty is one of the first male commerical country artists to come out and his Concert of Love and Acceptance is an important part of Nashville’s Pride festivities.
- You can get almost 50% off the book Queer Country using this code: F21UIP
Rainbow Rodeo Playlist
New Queer Country playlist:
Updated every two weeks!