Mega Super Duper Roundup
I am back in the saddle after recovering from top surgery! I've had an essay rattling around in my brain about my gender identity and country music for several years now, but my thoughts have yet to coalesce. Maybe for the third issue of the Rainbow Rodeo zine?
Suffice to say, I don't have much to say this week but there's, like, three weeks of news to catch up on so consider this issue a massive headline roundup.
Also, I got Rainbow Rodeo #2 shipped to me like two days before surgery! You can preorder it here and I'll ship it in the next week or two. They look FANTASTIC.
Also, artists -- there are new items in the artist resource section, so be sure to check it out!
- It's Bandcamp Friday! LA band COWBOY BOY released a compilation album with proceeds going to trans youth in Texas. The only artists I'm familiar with are Catbite (which released a country version of their punk album) and a duet between queer country and Black Opry extraordinaire Lizzie No and John Calvin Abney, whom you have probably heard playing guitar on John Moreland's albums. The comp leans more punk but the spectrum of country and punk is ultimately a circle, not a straight line. Also, the album art is fantastic.
Are you near Albany, CA? Eli Conley, Mya Byrne, Polythene Pam, and Side Pony are reviving Gay Ole Opry West on Sunday, May 15!
Congrats to Chely Wright on the anniversary of her coming out and blazing a trail for the many, many artists listed in this newsletter
Adeem the Artist just signed to Thirty Tigers Records. Congrats, Deemy!
You can get almost 50% off the book Queer Country using this code: F21UIP
Read Will Groff's interview with Queer Country author Shana Goldin-Perschbacher on Pitchfork
TJ Osborne will be the Grand Marshall of the Nashville Pride Parade! I happened to go the year the Ogberfell decision was announced and it was very cute!
Erin Rae (who is queer) and Mary Bragg (whom I don't know anything about in that department) made a song together!
The new issue of Honky Tonk Times has an article about queer country artists! You can only read it in print so pick it up and support country music zines! (Also, I'm interviewed in it but that's neither here nor there.)
New Brandon Stansell alert
Queer Jewish folk singer Aly Halpert just released a gorgeous new album. Here's her interview on Hey, Alma!
Queer country adjacent but you should pick up Marissa R Moss's book Her Country about sexism in the last few decades of the country music industry. I imagine there are many parallels to queer country artists' career trajectories!
Are you looking for some new country and Americana podcasts? The Boot had a nice little rundown. I had no idea Katie Pruitt has a podcast, and I want to give big ups to New Slang. While it's not directly related to queer country, Thomas Mooney and I worked together on Wide Open Country back in 2016 and he's good people. Also, if you like podcasts, watch this space for some news...
Rainbow Rodeo Playlist
Updated every two weeks!
- Mya Byrne wants to assemble allll the trans queer country artists. Is that you? Pop your head into this Twitter thread or ask me to put you in touch!
- Violet Eve Nashville is organizing a weekly queer jam session every Monday! Check them out for more info
- Submit your music and events to The Q LGBTQ Creative Network
- Submit your profile to the Country Everywhere which seeks to unite BIPOC, LGBTQ+, and disabled artists and professionals
- Sign up to the Black Opry Revue’s interest form!
- Check out the weekly Queerfolk Fest show in Nashville