Hello, guys, gals and non-binary pals. Hope you’re having a lovely spring time and that it will last wherever you are 😎 Here’s some links I wanted to share with you this month.
Wikipedia is the best website
- Moustache cups were popular in Victorian times, when waxed moustaches were much more common; they have a small ledge inside that allow the drinker to sip tea without having wax melting into the cup.
- Euro English is a variant of English spoken in continental Europe, particularly around EU institutions. It’s characterised by using some false friends from Romance language (“actual” for “current”, “eventually” for “possibly”, “how is it called?”) and introduces the concept of clusivity.
- You can find a Rednaxela Terrace in Hong Kong, taking its name from a transliteration mistake of the name “Alexander” read backwards.
- Bertha Benz did the first cross-country journey in an automobile by herself and it was certainly… a JOURNEY.
- The cat gap is a period of about 7.5 million years during which there are very few fossils of cat species found in North America, with disputed explanations.
- Anywhere on Earth designates when a day has passed everywhere on Earth (in practical terms, that’s UTC-12).
- A list of people claimed to be (re)incarnations of Jesus (astonishingly, it does not include Jesus himself).
- The Adventures of Tintin: Breaking Free is an anarchist, pro-union parody of the original, noted for its accuracy of drawings.
- Coffee palaces were a type of alcohol-free hotel, popular in Australia in the 19th century.
- Some parts of England have gurning contests where you should show your ugliest mug.
Everything is depressing
Good to look at
In my ears
Work! Design! Tech!
May your crops be bountiful,