Life has been a whirlwind lately.
I just returned from a trip to New Orleans. I ate like a king and I enjoyed the downtime.
I saw a city of bright colors, waterways with oysters and jumping fish, and cemeteries.
I found fewer people, but more regional pride than other cities I have visited.
Madison is staying there with her parents for awhile; I can't wait for her to return.
School's out for the summer in Berkeley. My work takes Friday afternoons off in summer.
The students have mostly gone home, so the streets and restaurants are quieter.
I found some research projects where I can help, including a space camera launch next March.
I expect a busy, focused summer; I will take the GRE in July.
I moved (again). I am just one mile south of the Cal campus.
My new address: 1837 Parker St, Berkeley, CA, 94703
I will share the place with my college friend Parsa and my family friend Ravi.
I am making pizza often and throwing frisbee in the park one block over.
I'm reading Calvino's Invisible Cities. My favorite quote so far:
"Elsewhere is a negative mirror. The traveler recognizes the little that is his, discovering the much he has not had and will never have."
Things I've liked or thought about recently:
- (brain dance / beautiful guitar) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrbt14uej08
- epic guitar music https://scalethesummit.bandcamp.com (from Andee)
- quieter complex guitar https://brotherrutherford.bandcamp.com/album/tunneling
- complex stories told simply https://vimeo.com/271020658 (from Leslie)
- hyper-sensory fractal cats https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX3iLfcMDCw
- my spirals from last time https://github.com/marwahaha/spirals/raw/master/spirals3.mp4
- I miss the old Cake https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zip4QyJyD5g
- check out this guy's bios https://lee94josh.com/About-Me (from Nadia's blog)
- remember gin blossoms? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qB6XdAkkAo
- weblog meets twitter https://muan.co/notes/
- meditation as narcotic http://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/meditation
- size vs ambition http://falseknees.com/338.html
- god vs science http://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2010-01-17
- ideas as viruses https://nadiaeghbal.com/ideas (from Nadia)
- small $$ giveaways - https://github.com/nayafia/microgrants (from Nadia)
- long post, but my new favorite way to describe social networks https://www.eugenewei.com/blog/2019/2/19/status-as-a-service (from Nadia's blog)
- accessible video on vortex rings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7d_RWyOv20 (from Ryan)
- I love Symmetry magazine! Accessible writing directly from the particle accelerator Fermilab! https://www.symmetrymagazine.org/article/a-universe-is-born
- Even physics isn't always falsifiable https://www.symmetrymagazine.org/article/falsifiability-and-physics
- What's wrong with the standard model? https://www.symmetrymagazine.org/article/five-mysteries-the-standard-model-cant-explain
- Interviews of black hole scientists https://www.sciencefriday.com/articles/where-does-black-hole-science-go-after-the-first-picture-of-one/
- Read the dissertations of recent physics Ph.D grads https://physics.berkeley.edu/academics/graduate-degrees/past-dissertations
- lecture notes on fluids over airplane wings https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/aeronautics-and-astronautics/16-01-unified-engineering-i-ii-iii-iv-fall-2005-spring-2006/fluid-mechanics/f19_fall.pdf
- 30min lecture on the mysteries of turbulence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_oyqLOqwnI
Tell me your favorite part of this email! Or send me your favorite question, I've been collecting them...