CfP: Rethinking Broadcast Archives: Dig, Deconstruct, Display
Call for Papers
Rethinking Broadcast Archives: Dig, Deconstruct, Display
Event: FIAT/IFTA Media Studies International Seminar
Date: 8 December 2023
Venue: BFI Southbank, London
The Media Studies Commission of the International Federation of Television Archives FIAT/IFTA is organising a one-day international seminar at the British Film Institute in London on 8 December 2023. Please join us in a dialogue about broadcast archives, present-day archival transformations and how these inform new understandings of the archive and new ways of engaging with the past.
Contributions that work with a variety of methods and theories that build upon the study of broadcast archives are welcome. Feminist, decolonial, post-colonial as well as environmentalist approaches to broadcast archives are especially encouraged. We also encourage contributions that focus on discussing research access to broadcast archives in different countries. Contributions can be in the form of paper presentations, workshops, round tables, research-based audiovisual screenings or multi-media projects.
The topics below can serve as points of departure for submissions, however prospective participants shouldn’t feel limited by these:
- critiques of the historical, social and political conditions that produce archival sources and how these inform and help us revisit narratives of the past;
- archives and processes of remembering;
- silences and power structures within the (digital) archives;
- polyvocality in broadcast archives;
- (digital) archives and social inequalities;
- broadcast archives as repositories of thoughts and feelings;
- broadcast archives and climate justice;
- politics of archival access;
- collaborative practices and alternative forms of knowledge in media historiography;
- broadcast archives as living laboratories of data;
- archive-based media research as a lived, embodied experience.
Proposals can be submitted by 1 September 2023 to: firstname.lastname@example.org. They should include a title, an abstract of 200-300 words and a short biography of the presenter(s). The seminar will take place on location. Limited options for presenting online may be available. If you want to make use of that option, please specify that in your proposal.
Attendance of the seminar is free of charge, but prior registration is required.
Read more about the call for papers at: https://fiatifta.org/media-studies-seminar-2023-call-for-papers/